This document explains how The Catalyst Scholars (‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’, ‘Catalyst’) store and handle the user’s (‘you’, ‘your’, ‘user’) data. We are always committed to keeping your data safe and being transparent about how your data is stored and used. The terms of this document apply to anyone who has visited our website, sought information about any of our programs, applied to any of programs, won a scholarship, or is an alum of any of our programs.
Last Updated: October 12th, 2020
The terms of this document are subject to change. It is the user’s responsibility to make sure they are up to date with the latest terms. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions about this document.
Links to other sites – We may include links to other organizations on our website. We do not hold any responsibility for the content on those sites or the data privacy and security measured followed by those organizations. Users should read the privacy policies of those websites before engaging with their services.
Data collection –
We might collect personally identifiable information (‘PII’) when users interact with our website. Examples of PII include first name, last name, age, email address, etc. This PII might be collected in several cases such as when users are applying for our scholarship program, requesting more information about our scholarship program, or submitting a query.
It is always up to the user to submit PII to us. We will never force someone to submit information they don’t wish to share. However, it is possible that if someone is not comfortable sharing PII with us, it might limit our ability to consider them for our program or respond to their query in a timely and efficient manner.
Sharing of data –
We share your PII with:
- Our affiliates and partners
- Organizations that help run our website and services or make them better (an example is a web development agency we hire to make changes to our website)
- Any organization or entity about which we tell you on our website
- Any organization, individual, or entity that might need to access your information for legal purposes
Examples of affiliates and partners include:
- Education financing organizations
- Admissions counseling or support organizations
- Program and award sponsors
We do not rent, sell, or market your data. Even when we share any data with our partner organizations, we do not get paid for it. Any information that we share is with the goal of benefiting our applicants. Other than for these reasons, we will only disclose your PII if required for legal reasons. Your PII might be transferred to another organization if our assets are transferred. Please reach out to us using our contact details provided in the contact information section of this document.
Our usage of your data –
It is possible to use our website without providing any PII. However, the PII you provide may be used for these or materially similar purposes:
- Responding to your queries about our programs
- To evaluate your fit for our programs
- To verify your identity for our programs
- To share information about programs, services, news, events, and partners. By submitting your email address, or filling out any of our application forms, you would have consented to outreach from us
When you submit this PII to us, you are granting the right to be reached out by email, direct mail, and/or telephone to share information about relevant products/services, best practice information, industry news, and events. You have the right to ask us to stop sending information to you. If you wish to stop receiving communication from us, please send us an email to the address listed in the contact information section.
Securing your personal information –
We will undertake every reasonable effort to secure your personal information. However, please not that you are submitting PII at your own risk. We are not responsible for data breaches or inappropriate use of your information by service providers or third parties that we associate with. By providing your PII, please not that you are willing to assume that risk.
Retaining and using your information –
We will remove your information from our system when:
- It is no longer of interest to our organization
- The purpose for which it was collected has been fulfilled
- You ask us to remove it
- We no longer have to retain your information for current or future legal purposes
We will remove your PII as soon as you ask us to remove it. You might still receive communications from us for a brief period of time given that it takes time for the information to be deleted. However, there might be data fields that we need to store or retain for recordkeeping purposes. Also, there might be data stored in our systems as part of archival or backup processes. Please note that we are not responsible for deleting data from third parties who have previously been provided this data in accordance with this policy.
Information for Parents and Children –
Our website or programs are not intended for children under the age of 18. We do not collect any PII from children except for extremely rare situations (college students under the age of 18). As such, we comply with Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of the United States and similar laws around the world. If you believe that information about minors might have been collected by our systems, please write to us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do everything possible to promptly address the issue.
Website Feedback –
We always welcome feedback about our programs, services, or website. Users are welcome to write to us at email@example.com to provide this information. Once you provide this information, it becomes our property and we might use it to improve our programs and services or develop new ones. We will never reveal your PII when we do so.
Legal Framework –
This policy is governed by the laws of the State of California. You agree to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the federal and state courts located in California for any disputes arising from a violation of or dispute about this policy.
GDPR Rights –
"European Data Protection Legislation" in this document refers to all applicable legislation relating to data protection in the European Economic Area ("EEA"),including the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 ("GDPR") and all laws adapted under or replacing the GDPR.
Under GDPR, the following clauses are applicable when you use our services:
- Our purposes of data use: We will use your data to provide our services or as necessary for our interest in providing services that do not infringe on your rights. We will use your data with your consent.
- The right to access: Users have the right to ask us for information that we have about them.
- The right to rectify your data: Users have the right to ask us to rectify the data that we store about them.
- The right to erase your data: Users have the right to ask us to delete information we have about them.
- User rights: You might have to provide us PII for us to verify your information when you request us for a particular service or reach out requesting us to remove or rectify your data.
- The right to restrict processing: You have the right to ask us to stop using your data for research, marketing, or exercise of official authority.
- The right to complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint with an authority in your home country if you think we have not acted appropriately and not respected your rights.
Whenever you logon to our website or interact with our services, certain information about your system such as your IP address is stored in your log file. We use third party software to track and improve our website and services using this data. The cookies allow us to identify a user on our website and make our site better. There are different types of cookies:
- Essential cookies – The use of our site will be affected in the absence of these cookies. These cookies will be set the first time you log onto our website.
- Social media cookies – These cookies allow you to share content you might find interesting on our site through social media platforms.
- Analytics cookies – These cookies allow us to track usage and interaction with different parts of our website. As such, they are used to improve our usability.
You have the right to disable cookies at any time. You may do this through your browser. However, disabling certain cookies might impact your experience on our website.
Contact information –
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.